- In some versions of the story Tom is called Thomas Coventry-More and in others just Thomas Coventry. In some he is Scottish and in some he is English.
- Tom would go to the top of the hotel where he stayed on rue Chauvin and run a ball up a flagpole as a signal to fire the cannon.
- On April 1 the signal is traditionally set off one hour early as an April fools joke.
Interesting French sites:
- Chez Pipo – is a restaurant in the old town that has lots of info about the history of Nice, including the cannon.
- Video from France 3 about the cannon.
- Nice Matin article about the man who sets off the firework.
To read my article click HERE: