For more info on this great city, you might like some of my books:
Curious Histories of Nice, France
A queen and a donkey? Ammunition that becomes a snack? Lunch and a cannon? This book tells the stories of the people and events that have made Nice the city she is today. Click the title for more info.
A Taste of NICE, FRANCE (Free E-Book)
Sexy voices announcing the tram stops… A dog wedding… A blockhead building… This book with color photos gives just a tasting of what you will find in this Riviera city. Click the title for more info.
Jean Cocteau on the Riviera (Free E-Booklet)
This small booklet will help you discover the Cocteau sites on the Riviera and give you a bit of insight into this multi-talented artist. Click the title for more info.
Nice, France INDEX
Check this index for articles about Nice and the surrounding area or click on the tabs in the menu bar:
- Thinking of Visiting Nice? – Suggestions for a pleasant stay.
- British Cannon Fire over the City of Nice – A British army officer is responsible for the noon day boom that reminds everyone to eat lunch.
- A Niçoise Laundress saves the Day – A story about the heroine of Nice driving away the Turkish army.
- Queen Victoria in Nice – This stern looking monarch let her hair down on holiday in France.
- Nice, France: Her Relationship with Italy and how she became French – A short history lesson.Liberated, Proud and Glorious – The French Resistance liberates the city of Nice.
- The Murphys, American Trendsetters on the Riviera – We have the Americans to thank for summer tourism.
- Who Wants to be a Bank Robber? – The Sewer Gang pulls off the heist of the century.
- Liberated, Proud and Glorious – The French Resistance liberates the city of Nice.
Festivals / Holidays
- Carnival Kings, Silly Strings, and Blooming Things – The Nice Carnival has a long history.
- Menton, France Celebrates the Lemon – A colourful winter citrus festival.
- Celebrating the Gourd in Nice – The annual gourd festival.
- May, a Month of Holidays and Festivals – Food and fun in the hills of Cimiez.
- Carnival Music and Gourds – Traditional music made with gourds.
An Accidental Tourist at the Festival of Avignon – French theatre
- Musings, Carnival, & Revolution – Carnival of Nice 2016 theme.
Art / Architecture
- The Old Town knows how to keep its Cool – Interesting architecture provides Old Town Nice with a free ventilation system.
- Three Russian Tsarinas leave their mark on Nice, France – A Russian church, chapel and cathedral in Nice.
- A Greek God just can’t get any Respect in Nice – When a powerful Greek deity arrives in Nice, he is ridiculed, humiliated, and banned from the city.
- Art in the City: The Tramway in Nice France – Read how the city of Nice combines art and public transportation.
- Madame Liberté – Lady Liberty’s French past.
- Blockhead building gets a thumbs up – Sculptural architecture in Nice.
- The Artist who came to Dinner and never Left – Jean Cocteau leaves his mark on a French Riviera villa.
- The Ephrussis: Dog Weddings, Duels, and Stalin – Did Madame Ephrussi really have a wedding for her dog in 1896?
- Homer’s Odyssey in 13 Easy Steps – Review this classic tale on a hilltop overlooking Nice, France.
- Mosaics on the Hill – Beautiful mosaics in Nice, France.
- 5 Riviera Cocteau Treasures – Jean Cocteau left some amazing art to discover along the Riviera.
- A Home without a Gourd is like an Empty Nest – A special Niçois gourd finds a new use.
- The Virgin Project of Nice – Did you know that Nice almost had a giant Virgin statue on the hilltop?
Gardens / Outdoor Spaces
- Finding the Castle is a Walk in the Park – Everyone talks about the castle but where is it?
- The English Promenade in Nice France – A great way to help the British and the Niçois.
- Bay of Angels: Two Legends and a Fish Story – How did this lovely body of water get its name?
- A River runs through it – well under it Anyway – A lovely park in Nice France sits atop a treacherous river.
- French Expressions pop up in the Park – Sayings illlustrated by photos of Parc Phoenix in Nice, France.
- Marketing in Old Town Nice: Cours Saleya and More – The colourful markets of Nice.
- 5 Things I Love about Nice, France – Find out why this is one of my favorite cities.
- Socca, a Niçoise Superfood – This amazing food has protected the city under siege, nourished the population during peacetime and inspired men to go to extraordinary lengths to protect it.
- Living the Sweet Life in Nice France – Does your life need a little sweetening up? Visit an amazing “confiserie” in Nice.
- Cocteau, Picasso, and a Tale of two Breads – A case of mistaken bread identity.
- Cat Cafés and Why Cats Purr -Have you heard of cat café? There is one in Nice.